ASHE On Demand Webinar: Empowerment through Education: Two Uniquely Progressive Internal Staff Training Programs
Date: Nov 01, 2021 - Dec 31, 2025
Empowerment is defined as increasing the capacity of individuals or groups to make choices and to transform those choices into desired actions and outcomes. This session explores how two health care systems empowered their facilities engineering staff through internal education and training specific to their job competencies, equipment and infrastructure, and standard policies and operating procedures. Although CommonSpirit Health and Novant Health experienced their own unique challenges and processes, they shared the common goal of realizing outcomes that promote safety, compliance, patient satisfaction and employee engagement. These outcomes were achieved by including technical and soft skills into the training content, yielding a holistic program that is relevant for every position on the organizational chart. Through patience and perseverance, CommonSpirit Health and Novant Health developed and implemented scalable programs that provide clear career growth opportunities and informed succession planning. Join this session to discover how to adapt their approach to your organization.
- Gain practical insight into developing and implementing an internal staff education and training program with job descriptions as the foundation.
- Apply lessons learned from these case studies to their organization’s education and training goals.
- Discuss strategies for engaging staff in professional development opportunities.
- Describe the benefits of staff training including reduced operating costs, increased productivity and regulatory compliance, and improved patient satisfaction and employee engagement.
- Andy Woommavovah, CHFM System Director, Energy & Infrastructure CommonSpirit Health
- Matthew H. Stiene, PE, CHFM, CHC Senior Vice President Construction and Facility Services Novant Health
- William Phifer,CHFM, Sr. Director Plant Engineering, Novant Health
- Lindsey Brackett, CHC, CHFM, SASHE President and Co-Founder
- Michelle Vargas, Business Analyst, St. Luke's Health System