ASHE Webinar Series: Preparing for Continuous Electrical Disruption on Hospital Operations
Date: Aug 18, 2020 - Aug 18, 2020
Preparing for Continuous Electrical Disruption on Hospital Operations
August 18th, 2020
12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
Coordinating major electrical utility disruptions and creating mitigation strategies for a busy hospital requires careful organization and involvement of all stakeholders. Executing over 30 electrical shutdowns requires structure and routine during planning to ensure that all risks and critical aspects are identified, mitigated and communicated with all stakeholders. Virginia Mason’s main electrical room (MER) upgrade project team leads (electrical contractor, hospital design/construction, and emergency management) will discuss the MER project, methodologies for shutdown risk assessment and planning, improvement strategies, real-time redline as-built document updates and collaboration, communications, tools and templates developed, and lessons learned along the way.
- Demonstrate strategies for managing multiple planned utility shutdowns and minimizing risk potential with minimal impact on hospital operations.
- Illustrate planning templates including Event Action Plan, Communication Plan, Activity Timeline, Emergency Procedures, Temporary Measure Logs, etc.
- Identify areas for improvement and incorporate those into future planned shutdowns.[ME1]
- Describe a document control strategy to ensure all organizational members have access to current utility information during multi-year, multi-phase construction activities.
- Share techniques for collaboration with stakeholders to consider upgrade or maintenance of utility equipment during shutdown