ASHRM/Aon 2019-2020 Hospital and Physician Professional Liability Benchmark Report
Each year ASHRM and Aon partner to deliver a benchmarking analysis of medical professional liability costs. This year’s study marks the 20th annual report and incorporates data from more than 118 participating health care systems.
The goal of our annual study is to provide health care systems with a business intelligence tool for better estimating and understanding self-insured medical malpractice costs.
Through measurement, analysis, and comparison of the claim and exposure data, risk managers develop proactive
strategies to reduce risk-related costs and ultimately improve outcomes.
The study provides actuarial analysis and research related to professional liability costs from varying perspectives including:
• Countrywide HPL, PPL, and GL benchmark claim costs—expressed in frequency and severity components—based on the entire database of 127 systems.
• Medical malpractice insurance market trends – provided by Aon and Beazley Group.
• Physician extenders and their impact on medical malpractice liability, specifically Physician Assistants (PAs) and Nurse Practitioners (NPs).
• The relationship between patient satisfaction measures and professional liability claims.
• Health care risk management department characteristics, including insurance buying habits, claims handling procedures, and other risk management department characteristics.
• Best practices in insurance policy review.
• Benchmark statistics for hospital service lines, demographics, and claim disposition types.
• Benchmark statistics for 23 individual states having sufficient data volume and credibility, including breakouts by territory for Florida, Illinois,and Pennsylvania.
Released October 2019. 98 pages.